Complaints started around the middle of Thursday morning. Users in Astana and in the Karaganda, Pavlodar, Kostanay and East Kazakhstan regions reported that messages would not send and media would not load; Almaty followed. Zakon.kz published its first item at 11:56 Astana time. The Russian agency Prime, reporting the same event, put the onset at about 09:25 Moscow time and noted that the service worked through a VPN throughout.
Kazakhtelecom confirmed the outage and located it outside itself. The company said it had recorded restrictions and reduced availability of the service, that no accidents or internal infrastructure failures had occurred in its zone of responsibility, and that its network was operating normally. It also reported a sharp fall in Telegram traffic at the international peering points in Frankfurt and Moscow, and said it had sent a formal request to the messengerโs administrative and technical team.
The Ministry of Artificial Intelligence and Digital Development said only that individual user complaints were being recorded and that technical specialists were looking into the situation. Orda.kz, citing an outage monitor, reported that over one hour 85 per cent of the worldโs Telegram fault reports came from Kazakhstan once population was accounted for, with 57 per cent about notifications, 27 per cent about the mobile app and 14 per cent describing a general failure.
Asked what had caused a nationwide outage, the state operator said there had been no violation on its side, and that it did not know.
Service came back the same evening. Kazakhtelecom said traffic was rising again at Frankfurt and Moscow, and when the agency asked for a cause the press service answered that there had been no violation on the companyโs side and that it did not know. No statement from Telegram has surfaced in the Kazakh or Russian wires, and neither ministry nor operator has published traffic data that would separate a filtering action from an upstream fault.
The timing is the story. Kazakhstan votes on 23 August for a new single-chamber Kurultai, the final party debates are set for 19 August, and the campaign has been fought largely on Telegram channels, which is also where the parties published what the broadcasters did not. Three days earlier the same ministry had told Vlast that the monthly audience of the state-backed messenger Aitu would be raised to 1.5 million this year.
Nothing in the record shows a block. A collapse in traffic at foreign peering points is consistent with filtering upstream of the operator and equally consistent with a fault at the platform, and the only party that could settle it has not spoken. What is on the record is that the countryโs main political channel failed for most of a working day inside an election campaign, and that the two Kazakh institutions asked about it have both said the cause lies somewhere else.
