Central Asia Wire
Independent Central Asia Monitor
Breaking
Armenia's cabinet approves a programme for the Fourth RepublicAn oil camp protest in Mongolia ends with an apology recorded by BeijingDushanbe puts a number on the Iranian option: 2.55 million tonsUzbekistan auctions 2,500 river sites for small hydropower
Security

The commander who said they could hang him has surrendered

Juma Khan Fateh gave up on Monday, ending nearly a week of fighting between his men and Taliban forces across the river from Tajikistan’s Darvaz district. He was flown to Faizabad, the terms are not public, and the mine workers trapped by the fighting have not been accounted for.

The commander who said they could hang him has surrendered

The end came fast. He refused a meeting on Saturday and was flown out of the valley on Monday. Negotiations ran through Fasihuddin Fitrat, the army chief of staff who had issued the invitation Fateh turned down; by Monday afternoon Afghan outlets agreed the commander and several of his officers had come down from their positions, given up their weapons and been taken by helicopter to Faizabad. One senior Taliban official, speaking anonymously through the BBC, called the surrender unconditional. Amu and Hasht-e Subh, which named five commanders in the party, say the terms are simply unknown. Afghanistan International adds a detail about the other side: the operation against Fateh was ordered by the deputy intelligence chief, Tajmir Jawad.

Our morning edition quoted Fateh professing loyalty to the movement he was fighting, even if they hang me. Readers should hold both facts: the words were reported on Saturday, the helicopter flew on Monday.

He refused a meeting on Saturday and was flown out of the valley on Monday.

What the surrender has not answered is the valley itself. Overnight, before the guns stopped, Afghan reporting still had hundreds of families and hundreds of mine workers blocked in Nusai, markets closed, and a miner pleading on video that civilians had gone hungry. No account of their release had been published by evening. A separate night attack on the vehicle of Badakhshan’s deputy police chief in Argo district, reported by one outlet, suggests the province is not settled by one man’s helicopter ride.

For Dushanbe the file stays open. The protest note over the death in Dashtak has drawn condolences and a promise, and now the shooting it complained about has paused; no new Tajik statement followed by evening. The border reinforcement remarks made the same day by the CSTO secretary general did not mention Darvaz, and the desk does not connect them.