Central Asia Wire
Independent Central Asia Monitor
Breaking
Uzbekistan charters an English-law enclave to the year 2100Drones return to Nizhnekamsk, and the airports close before dawnGeorgia's new refinery runs its first Kazakh crudeAshgabat opens its hosting season with a Tajik signature
Security

A drone strike on Tatarstan kills eight Uzbek workers

Ukrainian drones struck Nizhnekamsk in Tatarstan on Monday and killed at least 13 people, among them 8 Uzbek construction workers and a 30-year-old Tajik. Tashkent formed a government commission the same day and flies a working group to Russia today.

A drone strike on Tatarstan kills eight Uzbek workers

The strike came overnight into Monday. Ukraine’s General Staff says its forces hit the Taneco oil refinery in Nizhnekamsk. Tatarstan’s authorities describe hits on residential and industrial areas and count 13 dead, including one child, with dozens injured and 21 people taken to hospital.

The dead Uzbeks worked as builders for a construction company, the Uzbek emergencies ministry said, without naming the employer. Tajikistan’s foreign ministry places the deaths at a workers’ hostel in the city’s industrial zone. Uzbekistan’s consulate in Kazan had named 7 victims by their initials by mid-afternoon; the ministry raised the count to 8 by evening. Dushanbe confirmed the death of Ramazanali Basirov, 30, and said information on other Tajik citizens is being clarified.

Moscow’s framing arrived the same evening. “As a result of the Kyiv regime’s terrorist attack on civilian objects in Nizhnekamsk in Tatarstan, on 10 August at least 13 people died, most of them foreign citizens,” foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said. Russian accounts of her remarks put about 20 foreign nationals among the wounded. Russia’s Investigative Committee opened a terrorism case and Tatarstan declared mourning. The industrial zone the drones reached holds the Taneco refinery alongside TAIF-NK and Nizhnekamskneftekhim, and one drone, by Novaya Gazeta Europe’s account, fell on a market.

Tashkent answered with logistics. On President Shavkat Mirziyoyev’s instruction, a commission under deputy prime minister Achilbay Ramatov will organise aid to the injured, repatriation of the bodies and support for the families; a working group drawn from the emergencies, foreign and health ministries and the Migration Agency flies to Nizhnekamsk today. The commission announcement and the ministry statements name no culprit in the texts published by Monday night.

Monday’s strike lands on the labour corridor itself.

The dead were labour migrants of the kind Russia still draws by the million: border statistics counted about 1.95 million work-purpose entries from Central Asia in the first half of the year. The war had already reached the region’s exports and the crews that carry them. The April 2024 drone strike on Tatarstan’s Alabuga zone injured foreign students, Kyrgyz citizens among them, and killed none. Monday’s strike is of a different order, and it lands on the labour corridor itself.

What follows is measurable: the repatriation flights, any compensation, and what the labour flow does next. The entries data already showed the corridor thinning by 15% before anyone died on it.